School Re-opening Plans Ranked (Or Why Your Re-opening Plan Sucks)

Disclaimer: This plan is not a knock on any existing plan - just how I would play things out as a hypothetical superintendent of a fictional school district. I am speaking from my own perspective only, as every district has different needs and goals. This post also relies on the current COVID-19 numbers as of Wednesday, July 15th, 2020 in the U.S.


Let’s get this out of the way: every re-opening plan sucks. There is no ideal plan in a pandemic because each plan struggles with key objectives that we as a community, staff, and students hold dear. One of the biggest issues I see with many re-opening plans is that leadership has not outlined a hierarchy of goals that guided their plan. I say hierarchy because there MUST be a hierarchy when it comes to educating during a pandemic (oh, hey, look… this post is a hierarchy of re-opening plans)!


So… before I reveal my ranking of the five most common plans, I will start with my top three goals that I will use to rank each option. They are:


Health and Safety - If I were a superintendent (and this next statement might explain why I’m not), I would kick off any town hall discussion with “my first and foremost concern is the safety of our students, staff, and community. If anyone wants to prioritize anything else over safety and health, I will turn in my resignation today.” Easy for me to say as someone who is NOT a super, but I stand by that belief.


Equity - You’ll see this reflected in my rankings, but this summer has revealed a glaring issue in our society: we are demanding equality when equity is actually what is necessary. Instead of finding a solution that is “fair” to the most people, we need a plan that addresses our most vulnerable populations and provides accommodations and support accordingly. 


Education - Yes, this is third on the list. Yes, I am totally fine with that. What would I say as super to justify it? Here goes: “We’re going to provide you with the best damn education we can, but safety and equity must come first in our decision-making.” It means that our dedication to education has not wavered, but rather adjusted in response to a global pandemic.


With those qualities in mind, here are five very common plans I’ve seen and my ranking of them (starting with the worst and heading toward the best):


5. All Students/Staff Face-to-Face - This plan doesn’t deserve much more than a sentence, as it fails the health and safety test horrifically. A one-size-fits-all is incredibly dangerous to staff, students, AND the community with the current statistics related to the pandemic in the U.S. Just… no.


4. Rotation System (Two+ Groups of Students Every Other Day) - Although this plan feels slightly safer for students, it doesn’t move the needle for me on staff safety, nor safety for the community. Plus, it feels like a logistical and equity nightmare for all involved. Hard pass.

Student on PC


3. All Online/Remote Teaching - Hey, a plan that actually aligns nicely with my first goal! Yes, this is the safest option. No, it is not equitable. No, it is not the best education we can offer all students. I would still not recommend this plan, but it is definitely more palatable than the above options.


2. Elementary Grades & High-Needs Population Face-to-Face, All Others Online - Okay, my first option that I actually think is somewhat reasonable, though still not perfect. Let’s start with the big question: why elementary face-to-face? Remote and Online instruction, simply put, is more challenging for younger children. To mitigate safety risks, spreading the classes around the whole district would likely make a lot of sense here. In addition, I do believe providing space for IEPs, language learners, and other at-risk populations is key. I’ll elaborate more on that below in my top pick.


One major concern I have, however, is still safety. Sure, you’ve spread elementary around, but that still means enough willing staff to work face-to-face. What if your K-5 certified staff express fear of teaching face-to-face, even spread out among more buildings? I would NEVER force a staff member to teach when they feel unsafe, so that is why this plan is still not ideal.


1. All Online with School Space Available for Flexible Learning Needs - Here is the plan in a nutshell: all students would be primarily learning online, but students with specific needs could access the building with a mask on. Some of these needs could include: IEPs, language barriers, access to technology and/or internet, support in specific subject areas, unstable home life, and much more. This plan is daunting up front: schools must trust their Special Education teachers, their Social Workers, their ELL teachers, their Speech/Language Pathologists, their OT/PTs, and many more to recommend students to contact about scheduling time to be face-to-face safely. Buildings could create scheduled times where students could come in who need literacy support, math support, language support, and even just a safe space or a quiet workplace.


What are the hurdles? School leadership MUST ensure that staff are comfortable being in a social-distanced, masked environment. Educators who are not comfortable supporting students in the face-to-face or online environment should be offered sabbatical for the year with the understanding that they can return the following year if it is deemed safer. Schools must work with local municipalities and busing to provide flexible transportation options to accommodate the non-traditional schedule. For students with free/reduced lunch, delivery or face-to-face options should be available to ensure they have their needs met. 


What are the advantages? Safety is still valued, as students are encouraged to stay home while still having a much less concerning prospect if they need to go in face-to-face. Designated spaces for specific services could be used to limit exposure to new environments (such as a dedicated ELL space, dedicated literacy support, etc). Equity is strong in this model - the system is designed for at-risk populations and those who need more accommodations than strictly all face-to-face or all online can provide. Education is also strong because students are less likely to be challenged with safety and equity concerns. If they need face-to-face supports, they are there. If they learn best at home, they can do so.


My big disclaimer to all of the above: none of these are great. Even my top pick is an absolute logistical Everest, but I think schools could adjust and improve it as the year goes on. However, what the top option demonstrates to stakeholders is this - our district values your safety above all else, and we’re pouring everything we’ve got into ensuring equity and top-notch education. 


Comments